Sunday, September 17, 2017

The Original Hardwoker

"In his Autisticated Journey"
 A Eulogy for Jovince Ortega

by: DJ Martin


They say you could never cherish life not without experiencing its absence first. I believe in this somehow. Now that a life has passed. A life of a good man. They say he never be killed since he is already a zombie. But for now I would cherish life even more. Zombie or not, he will always be Jovince Ortega.

A zombie, a  humorist, a hustler, a friend. I have known Jovince for quite some time now. Well, 7 years to be exact. The first time we met, I already knew his name yet he didn't have a single clue what was mine. It was a getting-to-know activity in class first day of school- first year high school. One of the many firsts I had with Jovince is the unusual encounter of being a friend.

How did it happen? Well, it was quite simple. I just assumed that a very skinny and awkward boy wearing a striped-polo that seems to be his favorite (since he wore it to impress) is a Jovince Ortega. And amazingly I was correct- the chances of probability in 1 out of 11 boys- I have guessed right the first time.

You see, the thing about Jovince is he doesn't need to show off or even tell his name for you to know he is a Jovince Ortega, he just exists and you just know. On that day I knew deep in me that he's going to be one of the most important persons that I could ever have, and I was right yet again.

So on to how he became my best friend. Frankly, I can't quite remember how it even happened. It was spontaneous to say the least and it was the best. I remember one particular group activity (when we were still first year HS) that he was trying to be funny telling jokes of his own interpretations and nobody got him but me. The things is, he always gives a sense of humor in all aspects that we might partake no matter how serious or dubious the circumstances that might come between us. He is the class clown and his belligerent puns and jokes are bad they become good. Good in such a way that if knocks people off their feet. It's not about the joke per se but how he delivers it. And that I think is one of the most important aspect he has. His humor is innate.

Since then, I thought I could be with him for I knew myself I'm the person he'll always get as well- and yes I was always right- no doubt in that. He became my best friend and he still is since nothing ever came in us that might've torn us apart. Well, except in one case. I remember how we both fell in love with the same girl- oh dear God, it was oblivious. It didn't even occur to me that my best bro would like the same girl I wanted. This doesn't mean anything by the way- I am just trying to emphasize a point. (If you're hearing this right now Jov, I'm sorry. How's heaven by the way?) Anyway, so this happened and I thought even our friendship will be at stake. But God used his power and might to stop once and for all our being 'rivals.' It was a short span of time and it didn't even looked like it happened. You know what bound us together? MUSIC. Ha, yes music. That- we'll always be hooked to.

Jovince influenced me in listening to famous pop punk bands especially one of the greatest- All Time Low. He put a little color to my dull music taste and he influenced me so much also in learning how to play the guitar (and actually being good at it)- and also in forming a band that would later on influence me to other good music stuff. He has a very good taste in music and I'm glad that I got it as well.

It all boils to one thing- Jovince. You know what? He is the best. I could talk endlessly in trying to prove why he is the best but I don't want to oversell him he might come back to life or something.

Kidding aside, of all people who tried to stay in my life- Jovince is one of the most consistent. (Mostly because he is consistent with begging me in making his assignments and essays and other bunch of school stuff.) But you what I really realized? He uses me. Always. Kidding- he needs me.  Always. Like a bastard he is but in a good way. He never failed to amaze me. He has magical hands that could transform a blank paper to a series of skyscrapers in precise and aesthetic measurements of reality in his imagination. He is a useful zombie who already ate multiple brains to put him to where he is right now. He is the most humble person I know and if he were here right now, he would even deny I said such- that's how humble he is. And more importantly he cares for his family more than anyone else and he never fails to amaze them as well.

In all the tines we had, I always knew he was there. In the good times and even in the worst. He would lend me a shelf if my room is so messy because of my stupid frustrations. He would offer me his house whenever mine is occupied with hate and uncertainty. He feeds me with his innovative ideas that I can't even fully grasp. He is someone else- and by that I mean he could reach even further than anyone else even if he's not here anymore.

If you could hear me right now my dear bro. I want to thank you for everything. You never ceased to amaze me; you never ever abandoned me in all circumstances and for that I am forever grateful.

This is for you. And your autisticated journey. I wish you would've realized by now that your absolutely great adventures wouldn't be as autisticated if it weren't for and with me.

I wish to see you again on your favorite striped-polo and awkwardness and I won't even care if you dressed to impress. I would always want to experience it if it means I could see you again. Don't you silly things out there will you?

Catch up soon, brother. Rest now. In the utmost peace you could ever have.

Good bye. For now.



~ ~

P.S My friend is still alive and well if you might ask. This is just a mock eulogy for his school requirement.

Peace!

Thank you for reading! I hope you liked it. See you in the next post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment